Join us as we explore the mountains surrounding Haines, AK. A trip designed for guests with some previous mountaineering experience to maximize on the world class climbing Haines has to offer.
- 100' below the summit of Sithgahee, above the Casement Glacier
- Ski plane accessed alpine climbing trip in mid-May
- Climbing a couliour in the Cathedral Peaks outside of Haines
- Company founder Sean Gaffney crestin a summit ridge on the upper Davidson Glacier
- Simul-climbing through mixed terrain at 5,000' west of Haines
The Alpine Climbing trip is tailored towards guests looking to maximize climbing objectives during their visit to Alaska. The focus of this trip is to take your pre-existing skills and experience and enjoy the amazing mountain landscape of Southeast Alaska.Our alpine climbing trip offers individuals the opportunity to learn and refine rock & ice climbing, alpine and mountaineering skills.
The trip is designed to take skills and techniques that we have practiced and put them to use. We will attempt several climbs during the program that are intended to not only use our new skills but also to give participants confidence in their ability! A partial list of skills covered includes: anchors, belaying, rappelling, rope management, route finding, risk/hazard assessment, and crevasse rescue.
The trip is conducted in the mountains surrounding Haines. This is one of the most impressive mountain landscapes in the world and is an ideal setting for developing climbing skills. Our low participant to instructor ratio allows us the flexibility to accommodate individual expectations; you can progress as quickly as your ambition and ability allow! No previous experience is necessary.
HAINES: Haines will be the start and finish point for this trip. Haines is a beautiful town located where the mountains meet the sea in Southeast Alaska. A town of 2500 there are fun activities and places to visit before and after the primer. Haines can be accessed from Juneau via airplane or ferry.
ITINERARY: This trip is specifically tailored towards guests who have foundational mountaineering background and want to maximize climb time! Over the course of the trip your guides will take you on a series of exciting climbs and make their wealth of experience available to you to take your climbing to the next level.
ADD SKI PLANE SUPPORT: Ski planes allow us to reduce travel time and access additional areas otherwise inaccessible. This optional support is available for certain dates at an additional cost of $350/per person. Ask us today about which primer dates are supportable with ski plane transport.
OUR GUIDES: Alaska Mountain Guides & Climbing School Inc. instructors and guides are professionals. They are special individuals who have a passion for being in the mountain environment. They bring a wealth of experience from guiding throughout Alaska, and the world, to every trip. Their skill and positive attitudes help our guests to have the best possible experience during their trip. All of our guides are also professional climbing instructors who genuinely enjoy sharing their knowledge. This is an important consideration for individuals who have not spent a lot of time at altitude and are interested in learning the safest, and most efficient ways to climb.
The following itinerary is based off our 7 day alpine climbing itinerary, the 5 and 12 day programs will look similar:
Day 0: Arrive in Haines and get settled in time for a pre-trip meeting at 6:00pm. We’ll go over your personal equipment and answer any questions that you might have.
Day 1: We’ll depart Haines in the morning, head to the mountains and establish base camp. In the afternoon we might get the chance to explore a nearby overlook or go for a short hike depending on timing.
Day 2 – 6: We’ll spend the next few days exploring our surroundings. The extensive glacier network and jagged peaks make for an exciting selection of places to climb. Your guide will be available to offer input on technique or teach you variations of certain mountaineering skills such as crevasse rescue.
Day 7: We’ll make the most of our remaining time in the mountains, breakdown camp and head back to Haines.
- Trip Itinerary – An overview of the trip.
- Equipment List – Overview of personal clothing and equipment that you’ll need for this trip.
- Rental Gear List – Price and list of personal mountaineering clothing/equipment available for rent
- Registration Form – Outlines policies, and essential information. One required per participant.
- Health Form – This form enables our guides to have accurate health information in the event of an emergency & provides dietary restrictions for trip planning.
- Land Based Activity Waiver – One required per participant. Guests under the age of 18 may go on one form.
- Travel Info – Helpful information on how to get to/from Haines, Alaska.
Price: $1590, $2650 (+ tax, in USD)
2020 Dates: Apr - Sept
2021 Dates: Apr - Sept
What is included in the trip price:
- Climbing Equipment & group expedition gear – group camping equipment, tents, ropes, snow anchors, etc…
- Expedition food – all food while out in the field
- Transportation during trip – Van transportation in town and to the mountains (optional ski plane support for an additional $250)
- Professional guides – Our guides have extensive knowledge of the area and a passion for climbing in wild places.
Guests are responsible for the following:
- Personal clothing & equipment – review the equipment list included under “Documents”
- Food & Lodging in town – Haines has a variety of great options
- Trip insurance – we highly recommend trip insurance for all of our programs
- Airfare – review the “Travel Information” under “Documents” for more details
- Reviewing trip policies – please reference our policies page for policies regarding payment, cancellations, refunds and guest responsibilities.
To Book your adventure, follow the steps below:
- Please call to confirm availability at 1-800-766-3396 or fill out an online form to request more information via this link:
- Place a $250 deposit to reserve your spot: this can be place over the phone by credit card, check in the mail, or through our payment gateway.
- Once you’ve reserved your spot, you’ll receive a welcome packet with all the necessary registration forms and trip information.
- We kindly ask that you submit all of the necessary trip registration information at least 45 days prior to your trip.
Feel free to call or email anytime if you have questions about your upcoming trip. Our team is excited to help you prepare for your adventure!
I thought I'd let you guys know that I had the time of my life this past week. Dan was an amazing guide and knew where to go! We climbed more peaks in the past week than I've climbed all summer, words can't describe the experience!
- Jay M.